Aberdeen City Map
Aberdeen City Heritage Trust has offered over 250 grants for the repair of traditional properties since 2005. Arguably good conservation should barely be visible but in some cases the Trust can contribute towards projects that have significant visual impact. A selection of these are highlighted along with other points of interest in Aberdeen.
Point of Interest
11 Springbank Terrace
Conservation Area 3, Grade B listed
Reinstatement of tripartite sash and case windows, replacement door
The first of 3 adjacent terraced units where joinery reinstatement allowed the complete restoration of the frontage. Properties either side followed suit allowing a significant impact to be achieved. The high rate of assistance was necessary to encourage full restoration and contribute to curved bow dormer windows. The work has improved the appearance of 2 guest house businesses.
St Machar's Cathedral
A place of worship was established in this area about 580 AD and it is highly likely that it was indeed on its current location. It became a Cathedral in the 1130s when the seat of the Bishop was transferred from Mortlach, near Dufftown to Old Aberdeen under David I. By 1165 a Norman style cathedral stood on the site.
The Tolbooth Museum is one of Aberdeen's oldest buildings and one of the best-preserved 17th century gaols in Scotland.
Salvation Army Citadel
James Souttar, 1893-6.This is a large and prominent building, situated in the Castlegate and terminating the Eastwards vista of Union Street in Scots Baronial style.
War Memorial and Cowdray Hall
The War Memorial and Cowdray Hall is the City of Aberdeen's memorial to the fallen of both World Wars. Designed by Dr. A. Marshall Mackenzie and Son. The lion sculpture was designed by William MacMillan, A.R.A. It was sculpted in Kemnay granite by lead mason James Philip, assisted by George Cooper. Opened in 1925 by King George V and Queen Mary it cost £80,000, raised by public subscription. More information
Wellington Suspension Bridge
To the designs of Samuel Brown and John Smith (Masonry), the bridge was constructed between 1829-31. Built at a cost of 10,000 pounds, the 220 ft span is suspended from pairs of bar-link chains set one above the other on each side of the 22 ft wide deck. The North arch was added in 1886 and the bridge was partially reconstructed in 1930 when the wrought-iron suspenders and cast-iron bearers were replaced with steel. The bridge was closed to vehicular traffic in 1984 and more recently re-opened to pedestrians and cyclists following strengthening and preservation work in 2009.
Designed by Robert Stevenson for the Board of Northern Lighthouses and completed in 1833, it stands 130 feet high and is visible for nineteen nautical miles.
Aberdeen Music Hall
Built as Assembly Rooms in 1822, the building was designed by Archibald Simpson. The concert hall was added in 1859 and the building is better known as the Music Hall
Archibald Simpson 1837 with Mitchell Tower and frontage to Broad Street by Alexander Marischal MacKenzie at the turn of the C20th.
St Nicholas Kirk
The original church, known as 'The Mither Kirk' dated from 1151 and was one of the largest medieval churches in Scotland. Some remnants of this church possibly remain in St John's Chapel. The building has been significantly altered over its history. The West section of the church 1755 is thought to be the only Gibbs building in Scotland and its interior is particularly noteworthy as a rare 18th century survival.
King's College was the first university in Aberdeen, the third in Scotland and the fifth in the British Isles. Constructed from the late C15th the original tower collapsed in a storm in 1633 and was rebuilt. Particularly notable within the chapel are the choir stalls and rood screen, which date back to around 1509. These form the most complete mediaeval church interior in Scotland
Provost Skene's House
George Skene, a wealthy merchant and Provost of Aberdeen had the mansion built in 1669. It was conserved and reopened as a museum in 1953
Constructed in 1686 by the mason John Montgomery of Old Rayne, with later additions, Lord Cockburn wrote in 1841 that he thought this was the 'finest thing of its kind in Scotland'. It is renowned for its fine carved panels.
Elizabeth Crombie Duthie gifted the Duthie Park to the City in 1880/81 and it opened to the public in 1883. The Winter Gardens are the largest in Europe. Restoration and repair of the park was completed in 2013. The park was recognised for its national importance through addition to the Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes in 2006.
Designed by Peddie and Kinnear (1856-78) and built of Kemnay granite, it was designed in "Flemish" style pointing to Aberdeen's trading links with Europe.